The Diva is Coming! RuPaul to Rock KC At Pride
May 27, 2006
by Raymond J. Jemison Jr.
GET READY KANSAS CITY. Because you’re gonna WORK. Yes! RuPaul is gracing this year’s Gay Pride Festival At the Liberty Memorial on the evening of June 4, 2006, with his brand of show stopping, disco hopping drag which made him a household name. Known for that famous hit, Supermodel (You Better Work) in 1992, RuPaul has gone on to make a string of hits including a duet of It’s Raining Men with Martha Walsh. In addition to making a name on stage, he has hosted his own show on VH1, appeared on film in both of the Brady Bunch movies, Crooklyn, and A Mother’s Prayer. And let’s not forget the release of three RuPaul dolls in 2005. “I don’t impersonate females,” RuPaul once said. “How many women do you know who wear seven-inch heels, four-foot wigs, and skintight dresses?” So get ready KC. The diva is coming! The diva is coming! The diva is coming!
What people may not know:*
• RuPaul is a pop-music aficionado who owns over 5,000 CD’s.
• In Ru’s stocking feet, he is 6´4” tall.
• It takes RuPaul three hours to get into drag.
• Ru is an avid player of games, including “Charades”, “Password”, “Taboo” and “Guesstures”.
RuPaul is quoted as saying:
• “You’re born naked, and the rest is drag.”
• “What other people think of me is none of my business.”
• “I moved to New York with a pair of high heals and a dream.”
• “You can call me He, you can call me She...hell, you can call me Regis and Kathie Lee...I don’t care...just as long as you call me”.
• “Every time I bat my eyelashes it’s a political statement.
• “Learn to love yourself ‘cause if you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gon´love somebody else?”
• “You better work, bitch!”
• “Everybody Say Love!”